Southwestern has an open-door admission policy and welcomes students who wish to obtain a quality education. In general, students may enroll in classes if they meet any one of the following requirements and have the ability to benefit from instruction:

  • Are 18 years of age or older;
  • Have graduated from an accredited high school;
  • Have completed a General Education Development (GED) certificate or an Adult High School Diploma; or
  • Were home schooled and have met state requirements for high school equivalency/completion.

Students in need of assistance with any part of this process, are encouraged to see the Admissions Office Staff in Dellwood Hall, room 4, or call 541.888.7636 or 800.962.2838, ext. 7636 to schedule an appointment. 

Si usted necesita mas ayuda, por favor, llame a Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) al teléfono 541.888.7408 or 541.888.7407.

Students under the age of 18, who have not graduated from high school or earned a GED, should meet with an advisor/counselor and his or her parent(s), to fill out the "Underage Student Orientation to College" and "Underage Agreement" Forms. Please contact the Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) office in Stensland Hall or call 541.888.7405.

First-time students

Students taking 12 credits or more in a term, receiving financial aid and/or pursuing a degree or certificate are required to submit an Application for Admission.

Students taking less than 12 credits in a term or attending for personal interest only need to complete a Student Record form. The Student Record form is located in myLakerLink. Once the required information is submitted, please allow three working days to receive your user ID and password by email.

International Student Admission

International students must meet federal immigration and college requirements before being admitted to Southwestern. International students who present Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores with a minimum score of 450 may be admitted to Southwestern. 

Students must complete the International Application for Admission Form and submit it along with TOEFL scores and a financial statement to the Coordinator of International Student Programs before the I-20 and acceptance letter are issued. Students are also required to send any international transcripts to a third party evaluator for translation.

Southwestern provides a comprehensive array of services. Aside from the special orientation process designed specifically to familiarize our international students with  the college and community, we offer personal and academic counseling, special tutoring services to help students progress in their courses, a mentor program that brings international students together with American conversation partners, and a bridge course (Writing 60: College Writing for International Students) designed to provide international students with writing practice in most disciplines. In addition, there is housing assistance, advice about immigration regulations, and activities and field trips which are periodically organized to acquaint our students with the recreational opportunities available in this scenic area. 

Please visit the International Student Program (ISP) page for more information and forms.

Special Admissions Programs

There are additional admission processes for restricted-entry courses, programs, and training opportunities which include:

  • Baking and Pastry: 541.888.7700
  • Culinary Arts: 541.888.7700
  • Nursing, Nursing Assistant and Medical Aide: 541.888.7443
  • Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic: 541.888.7432

These programs may require separate applications. Call the numbers indicated or the Admissions Office in Dellwood Hall, Room 4, 541.888.7636.

Curry County residents have three locations to contact for assistance, the Curry Campus, 96082 Lone Ranch Pkwy, 541.813.1676, the Gold Beach Campus, 29392 Ellensburg Ave, PO Box 590, 541.247.2741 and the Port Orford Campus, 541.332.3023.

Transfer Students

Transfer students who plan to complete a degree and/or receive financial assistance must complete the application process and have official transcripts sent to Southwestern. Course credits transferred from other accredited colleges or universities are evaluated in terms of equivalency to Southwestern courses and/or applicability to Southwestern programs. All credits used to calculate the cumulative grade point average (GPA) are transferred; however, some of the credits may not apply to a student's Southwestern program.

For more information for students transferring to Southwestern, click here.

To earn an Associate's Degree or Certificate of Completion, students must meet the requirements in the catalog year in which they declared their major at Southwestern. Students who are not enrolled in at least one course toward their degree for more than one year will lose the right to complete the degree under the original catalog requirements. Students must then meet the requirements in the catalog from the year they re-enroll at Southwestern.

The application of existing coursework will be evaluated on an individual basis by the Transcript Evaluator and the appropriate instructors. Modifications or exceptions may be made in certain circumstances by approval from the Academic Standards Committee. For example, if the student has been employed in the skill area and has thus been able to keep up with developments in the field or if the time lapse is marginally outside accepted limits. All exceptions will be made with the knowledge and consent of the appropriate instructors.

An edition of the catalog is valid for five academic years. For example, a catalog that takes effect in summer of 2014 is valid only through spring of 2019.

Students should regularly consult an advisor in their major field. Failure to complete the requirements within that time line will require students to move to the current catalog year or to petition the Academic Standards Committee, using the Academic Standards Committee Petition form, for an exception to the policy. Students taking more than five years to complete their degree program must have coursework evaluated by the Transcript Evaluator and the program faculty before graduation. Students may have to retake courses or take additional coursework in order to graduate.


Students receiving financial aid are required to declare a valid major.

A declared major contains a list of required courses a student needs in order to graduate with a degree or certificate.

Your catalog year is the academic year you declared your major. A catalog is your guide book for success at any college. Always refer to your catalog when planning your following term’s course schedule. Your catalog will assist you in keeping on track for graduation by helping you determine the courses you need and do not need.

Some programs may impose shorter time limits for accepting credits for degree or certificate requirements. Occasionally, the college may change courses and course numbers within a program. Southwestern has the right to terminate or reinstate programs. The college will assist students enrolled in these programs to complete the degree or certificate requirements.

All students interested in receiving any type of financial assistance, including loans, must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The application is available on line at Southwestern's school code is 003220.

Southwestern's Financial Aid office contacts students by mail for the next steps in the financial aid process. For further information, visit the Financial Aid website.  You may also call and make an appointment with the Financial Aid office in Dellwood Hall, bay calling 541.888.7352.

Southwestern Fact

A FAFSA is required every academic year. Starting January 1, the FAFSA and the renewal FAFSA are available online at

All students seeking student loans must complete a FAFSA and must complete all the financial aid and loan steps.

Degree seeking students taking less than 12 credits in a term may still have financial assistance available to them. Complete the FAFSA and contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

All full-time students have the privilege to live in Student Housing. Students who are from out-of-district or from out-of-state are required to live in housing during their freshman year. Living in student housing is the best way to ensure academic success, to collaborate with other students, faculty and staff and to get the full "college experience." Prospective residents must be 18 years of age before December 15 of the current academic year to live in housing. The Room and Board Agreement and the Housing Application are available online.

Students who are required to live in student housing may request a waiver for exception from the Student Housing office. Pre-approved exemptions include having a dependent, being 21 years of age prior to the first day of class, being a veteran or transferring with 45 or more quarter credits. The college does not grant waivers for reasons other than those listed.

Please visit the Student Housing page for more information and forms.

The purpose of a placement test is to determine students' entry level for reading, writing, and math. Tests are given in the Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) office located in Stensland Hall between 8:15 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and take an average of two hours to complete. Students will receive a copy of their test results, and students' advisors will discuss the results with them as well as assist them in selecting classes based on their placement. Call ESPS located in Stensland Hall at 541.888.7371 for more information.

Applicants who have ACT/SAT scores may use them in lieu of the placement test and are asked to submit them to the Admissions office in Dellwood Hall, Room 4.

Fast Fact

High scores may allow students to "test out" of some coursework. If students have prior college work or have taken a placement test at another college, they should check with ESPS located in Stensland Hall or Brookings campus

Degree seeking students must see their advisor before they may register for the following term. Students will discuss their educational goals with their advisors and receive assistance planning their class schedules. Students should visit Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) in Stensland Hall if they need an advisor assigned. Students who are unsure of their educational goals may receive help from counselors to determine a college major and career goal.

Visit myLakerLink to find a listing of Southwestern classes. Students register using myLakerLink online but may also register in person at the Student First Stop Center if they need assistance. 

Southwestern Fact

Degree-seeking students must meet with their advisors to be approved to register for the following term. 

Register at myLakerLink online. students may also receive assistance at the Student First Stop Center in Dellwood.

What myLakerLink can do for you at Southwestern!


  • Search for classes
  • Register for classes
  • Add/drop classes
  • Manage your wait list


  • Check your account summary
  • Make a payment
  • Check your financial aid status
  • Apply for a student loan
  • Enter your bank information for electronic disbursement


  • Email your advisor
  • Print an unofficial transcript
  • Order an official transcript
  • View your GPA and grades
  • Run a program evaluation


Visit the Southwestern Student First Stop Center. You may also email or call 541.888.7352.

Current tuition and fees are listed online under Cost of Attendance on the Admissions website. All courses carry a per credit tuition charge, per credit fee, and a per course fee.

Payment in full or a payment plan is required at the time of registration. Financial Aid students should verify their funding with the Student First Stop Center.

Southwestern Fact

Tuition for out-of-state students and Oregon resident students is the same.

The Southwestern Bookstore is the one-stop shop for students. It carries everything from new and used textbooks, computer accessories, and software, to art supplies and office supplies. A variety of snacks, clothes, Southwestern memorabilia, and gifts are also available.

If the Bookstore does not have what a student needs, they will order it right away!

The Bookstore is located in Stensland Hall. Business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the web at The Bookstore offers online purchasing as well.

New Student Orientation is held each year during the week before fall term begins and attendance is highly recommended.

Visit Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) in Stensland Hall for more information.