Welcome to Childhood Education and Family Studies!
Interested in pursuing a career that will enhance the future, and support young children in meeting their potentials? Here are some examples of careers in the Childhood Education and Family Studies Field.
We have many degree or certificate options that include:
- AAS (Associate of Applied Science Degree)
- AS (Associate of Science Degree)
- AS - Elementary Education (Associate of Science Degree)
- Childhood Education and Family Studies Career Pathway Certificates
- Infant Toddler Career Pathway Certificate
- Parenting Educator and Early Childhood Home Visitor Certificate
Nationally Accredited Programs
Southwestern is home to one of only two NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) accredited degree programs in Oregon! We were the first NAEYC accredited program in Oregon, California and Washington.
The AS and AAS Childhood Education & Family Studies degrees at Southwestern Oregon Community College are accredited by the Commission on Early Childhood Higher Education Programs of the National Association for the Education of Young Children, 1313 L Street NW, Suite 500, Washington DC, 20005. (800) 424-2460 ext. 8007.
Your degree means so much more being from Southwestern Oregon Community College!
Multiple Options: Online or Face-to-Face
Most courses are available either face to face or online. Our courses are designed to be engaging, interactive, and prepare you for what you will need to know to work with children. Our advising and support team offers guidance on navigating the programs and supporting your learning journey. We know going to school and juggling life can be hard - we will be there to support you.
Other Great Things to Know:
- Our Childhood Education & Family Studies program is a great place to begin to meet your goals of becoming preschool, elementary, or secondary teacher in any public and/or private educational setting.
- Our Associate in Applied Science in Early Childhood & Family Studies degree option is articulated with Southern Oregon University’s bachelor in Early Childhood Development degree.
- The Childhood Education & Family Studies (CEFS) certificates and degrees can be completed right here on the South Coast of Oregon through Distance Education!
- The Associate of Science degree in Elementary Education is articulated with Southern Oregon University's bachelor in Elementary Education, which can lead to earning an Oregon teaching license. The AS in Elementary Education also prepares you to enter any Oregon University elementary teacher education program. -> Learn more about K-12 teaching in Oregon.
- Have a Step 7 on the Oregon Registry or your CDA? Your continuing education can be articulated for up to 12 credits! -> How to apply for a Background Check with the Central Background Registry
Please take a look at the catalog links below for our program options and feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541.888.1575 for more information.
Not sure if working with children is right for you? Explore possible careers through the Southwestern Oregon Career Center.
Degrees - Description
- Associate of Applied Science Childhood Education and Family Studies
- Associate of Science Childhood Education and Family Studies Emphasis
- Associate of Science in Elementary Education
Certificates - Description
- Childhood Education and Family Studies, Preschool Children, Education and Development I
- Childhood Education and Family Studies, Preschool Children, Education and Development II
- Certificate of Completion Childhood Education and Family Studies (50 credits)
- Infant and Toddler Development
- Parenting Education and Early Childhood Home Visitor